Brian is a fellow Greek which I think makes our relationship work. I think the fact we were Greeks at different colleges helps too. We both know that college can change you but we didn't have to witness each other's evolution into the people we are now. That awkwardness is missing in our marriage and I for one am happy about it. I'm gla he didn't see me at some of my less than impressive moments.
We do however understand how being involved in a fraternity or sorority can help a person with leadership and other skills. Brian's experience was a little different from mine since he actually helped found his fraternity's branch on the ACI campus. Brian is a Delta Tau Delta and this weekend was the 10 year anniversary of it being founded. Kind of cool, I think. Nationally the fraternity is 151 years old which is really amazing!
Alumni and current actives ranging the past 10 years came to Boise for the weekend. I was pulled into service on Saturday helping my friend Tiffany, who's husband is the current advisor, cook a BBQ meal. It was supposed to be for family and friends but the boys' golf tournament was rained out so we were invaded by a whole lot of hungry boys. Still fun though. I think we cooked for 2 hours, I made 2 angel food cakes.
Brian was horribly sick the whole weekend which didn't help him at all. So he missed the activities on Sunday because Nyquil knocked him out for 12 hours.
It was a fun weekend. They had alumni from all over and I know Brian enjoyed seeing some of his college friends in town. It makes me wish there was a Chi Omega chapter around here but I don't think Boise State could support it. Maybe ACI could, not sure. They seem to have a fairly strong Greek system. It's very small, like USU, but the campus is small too.
So that was my weekend! Fun for all involved. They had the regional vice president come visit for the festivities and one of the things he said really got to me. He was talking to the current members and told them that they had the fraternity in trust. Most fraternities could not point to someone they know and say "that's the guy that started this whole thing." ACI is unique because the guys who founded the fraternity are right there! They are involved and they care. They trust the current members to be faithful to it's original ideas and to take care of it's name and reputation." Not an exact quote but the general idea. It really got to me, i'll admit.
8 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment