Thursday, August 13, 2009

Operation Skinny Mini

As I mentioned in my last post update, I had some health problems that recently came to light. I have been feeling fairly tired, I've been bruising rather easily, and some other things that made me know that life was not right and that this was beyond just depression. So, like a responsible person (because Brian made me) I went to see my doctor and have some blood tests taken to see what was wrong.
Well turns out I'm Anemic, which I was expecting. My mom is too so this wasn't too surprising, plus it explains the bruising. My doctor recommended an Iron supplement and to get more Iron rich foods. So far no stomach problems with the extra iron. Everyone was warning me, but I haven't experienced anything too terrible.
The two other kind of scary things I found out were that I have high cholesterol and high blood pressure. I am now taking a fish oil supplement and have cut out red meat. I am also paying attention and steering away from any foods that have cholesterol in them and the big thing is weight loss.
After a week on this new health crusade of mine, I lost 2 pounds! So things are at least working out well. I have gone a little overboard on the exercising, but I have more energy, so it can't be all bad. Instead of doing just 45 minutes 4 days a week on the eliptical, I changed things up. I do one day a week of weight lifting. It was going to be 1/2 an hour on mondays, but i'm going to increase that by 10 minutes because I didn't feel like I got a good enough work out this week. I'm hoping it's because my stamina is increasing. I want to work out every day of the week but that has been rough, so I do one day a week of a tough work out, an hour and a half on the elyptical. I have been increasing my resistance and going between 50 minutes and an hour.
Then I see dumb articles like this one that Time did.
Why Exercise Won't Make You Thin
My brain hurt after reading this article it was so stupid. Go ahead and read it and I will explain to you why this writer is dumb.
....
....
....
back? Awesome!
Ok, the basic argument was that exercise makes you hungry. True! After working out you will be hungry. But this fact alone does not mean that exercise won't work. The author makes my argument for me, they just didn't connect the dots. If you work out and then go eat a pizza, you will not loose weight. If you work out and then have an apple? What do you know, weight loss happens. It's not the exercise, it's the food choices we make. You can't run three miles and then eat an ice cream cake and expect to loose weight, that is just ridiculous. But swearing off exercise all together? That's just silly too. Exercise is great for health and well being. We all need to be more active but should be conscious of our food choices too. Presenting this article in the way it was done, is incredibly misleading.
I'll get off my soap box now.

1 comment:

Lizzen said...

Good for you, and thanks for the reminder. I have a few health issues myself that would be helped or even solved by a healthier lifestyle, so why is it so hard for me to just DO IT? Hopefully I can catch your motivation and go with this too.

Keep up the hard work!!