Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Motivation

I had a comment about motivation, so I thought I would use that as a topic with the added topic of being healthy which in my case means loosing weight.
What motivates us?
The first time I lost weight my motivation started as inspiration. Kristie Alley was on Oprah talking about how she was starting Jenny Craig. One of the things she said that got me was that many overweight single women won't loose weight in the opes of finding a guy. We say to ourselves, "He'll love me for me." Kristie said, is this you? This self conscious, unhealthy, sad person, is that you. Is this overweight person you? Then why would that future guy fall in love with you?
Let me just say that I pulled a Neo and said "Whoa." About a year later I was 40 pounds lighter and had myself the perfect man. (Current husband.) But then I started to ignore all the lessons I had learned. I had only had one motivation to loose weight and that was to find a guy. Once I lost that motivation I didn't come up with another reason and so gained back 30 of those pounds. By then I had gotten over the idea of being the "fat girl" so I was much more comfortable in whatever weight I was in.
Searching for motivation has been hard. I have a wonderful and supportive husband but I still have to find motivation on my own. I can't do this for him, I have to do this for me.
My big motivator right now is to get my blood pressure and cholesterol down. We are getting closer to the time when we are going to start making the babies, but I don't want to do that and be unhealthy. It's hard enough when you are in good shape, I don't want to struggle while worrying about high blood pressure. This is the big thing that hangs over my head. It stopped me today when I said "I really want a cupcake."
But I have small things too. I bought a pair of shorts two months ago that were too tight. I was able to wear them for the first time last week. Shorts! I had one pair of shorts that were two sizes too big that I mow the lawn. Now I have cute little khaki shorts that show my legs. My very white legs, but there they are, out for the world to see and I feel great in them.
Clothes are a good motivator for me right now. I have a tiny black dress that I want to get back in. Before that I have a couple skirts that don't fit right now. I hope to wear them in the next month.
I always think focusing on the little things can help when that BIG thing just seems to large to master.
So what is your motivation?

1 comment:

Lisa said...

My motivation is being able to do all the things I want to do - hiking, kayaking, skiing, playing sports, spinning, etc. Since I am so competitive and don't like to lose or be the "slow" one I have to keep myself in good enough shape to do that. (like you didn't know that)

That's what keeps me motivated :)