198 million dollars of the Stimulus package went to WW2 Filipino veterans. That's not the crazy part. The crazy part is that these veterans have NEVER received any kind of veteran benefit.
Back in WW2, when the Philippines were an American Colony, about 400,000 Filipino's signed up to fight in WW2 with the understanding that they would receive veteran benefits. As soon as the war ended, the United States retracted the agreement.
Here we are in 2009 and the survivors are FINALLY getting the benefits they deserve. I am sad that it took this long and that the only way to get it passed was to include it in the Stimulus bill. But at least they are going to get some money for the service they gave our country. It's not enough, but for any veteran, money is never enough for what they do for us.
If you want to read some more about it, here are some links.
Los Angeles Times
Chicago Tribune
Army Times
International Herald Tribune

4 comments:
That is horrible that it took so long! I'm an NPR addict too! I feel so smart when I know what's going on in the world! I love the totally random things too! :)
Wow, I have missed out on so much by not having your blog on my google reader! Consider that remedied. So, I can't handle NPR...it makes me feel like I am watching reality TV where everyone has to get the last word in and it stresses me out. Plus, I think it brings me back to my childhood when my dad would listen to sports games on the radio while we drove which SUCKED! I support your addiction and hope you continue to keep me informed! Second, LARDOS was HEALTHY? We are heading up this weekend with some friends, so I will check it out. Good job on the working out and eating right!!! Oh, and I love, love, love your wedding pics...like as much as I love my own and you KNOW how much I think of P-A-R. :)
Science Friday! Science Friday! Yep, you heard me, SCIENCE FRIDAY RULES! Me being not at all the science geek, yet I love this dorky show.
And I love that you were listening in the day I tried to call in to talk to Sam Waterson about "Mind Walk." :)
I miss NPR! I can't get it up here... Car Talk on Saturday mornings could very possibly be my favorite radio program ever!
Post a Comment